Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Finish Year 2013 : Creating a Finish List

In order to practice for Finish Year 2013 we are going to make a Finish List for 2012. I want you to put one thing on your finish list for 2012. What I want to finish in 2012 and what I want you to finish in 2012 is this

2012 Finish List
Goal 1 : I am going to finish making a Finish List for Finish Year 2013 by December 31st, 2012.

I think that is something that we all can finish! Don't you agree?!

Ready? Deep breath, now let's go!

When I completed my marathon in 2010 there was a lot of education that went along with the training. If I would have not taken the time to prepare the correct way there could have been incredibly dangerous consequences. With that in mind, I want you to take your time and prepare your list over several weeks. Do not rush this. Take time and meditate over what you are going to be doing.

Keep this in mind

1.) Don't Put all of your eggs in one Basket

Over the next couple of weeks I am going to be giving you a lot of ideas that you can add to your finish list. I do not want you to take all of your goals from the lists I give you but I hope to stir up some fresh ideas and motivate you in all areas of your life. I will be giving suggestions for six areas of life:
  • Financial Goals
  • Physical health goals
  • Spiritual health goals
  • Social/relationship goals
  • Professional goals goals
  • Mental health goals
If you are like me you would like to pick the area that you are really good at and make all of your goals come out of that category. Or if you are feeling motivated today you may pick the one you are terrible at and pick all of your goals out of that category. Resist that temptation. Diversify your goals! The more diverse you can make your Finish List the more improvement you will feel at the end of the year!

2.) Don't Shoot for the Moon

I am not saying, "Do not push yourself". This entire exercise is meant to push you out of your comfort zone and to help you improve on the things you find difficult. It will be difficult and that is why at the end you will feel really good about what you accomplished. The marathon I completed was very hard. Looking back it may have been more wise to have started with a half marathon. However, I wanted to push myself but not kill myself. I did not start with an ultra-marathon, a race that can be up to 100 miles, because I knew it was impossible for me at that point in my life. It is a race for very experienced runners and I respected that. I made an attainable goal.

If you interested in writing and want to become a better writer this year do not add "I want to finish my first book this year". For some that may be a very attainable goal, but for a beginning writer, a more realistic goal may be "I want to finish writing 52,000 (1,000/per week) words this year"

Do not feel bad about lowering your goal from what you think other people can accomplish. This is about you and setting yourself up for success. Do not set yourself up to fail. Again take time and think this through. With that being said it may be good to have somebody go over your list with you. Maybe you are shorting yourself or shooting for the moon. Find somebody you trust and listen to their input but in the end listen to your heart! You only have to answer to you at the end of the year.

3.)Remember the three C's  

Clear
When developing your list make it clear. Leave no fog in the air. In the past we would make resolutions that were hazy so that we could give up and not feel bad about it or just lose sight of it altogether. We would say things like:


"I'm going to get my finances in order this year"
"This year I am going to lose weight" or "get healthy"


Maybe better alternatives would be:

"I am going to evaluate my finances and finish making a budget"
"This year I am going to finish reading 2 books about nutrition"

Control
There are some things that you can not control. Make goals that are strictly based on something you have control over. When you wake up in the morning you have to decide that you are either going to do it or not. 

Bad Examples
"This year I am going to get my dream job"
"This year I am going to get married or fall in love"

Good Examples
"This year I am going to finish applications for one job a week in the field I am interested"
"This year I am going to finish being afraid and ask three girls on a date"

You can not control if you will get a promotion or fall in love but you will have a sense of accomplishment that you are going after the things you care about!


Concise

Currently, I have a list of about 20 things I would like to add to my finish list for 2013. The reality is that if I were to put all of these on my list they would not be completed with the quality I desire. Instead of having a list of 20 goals that I may be able to complete, but with half a heart, I am going to develop a list of 3-5 that I can go all in on!  

Take your time, know who you are,  be clear, take control, be concise! 

Now get out your moleskine and start making a list. Send me the ideas you are coming up with for your list : shimergap@gmail.com

4 comments:

  1. I'll be joining you, but my list is going to be slow in coming. Right now my goal is to survive the end of the school year. Thanks for the encouragement and accountability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

      Delete
  2. Saw you over in the comment section of Simple Mom. Intriguing concept...a finish list. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot take credit for the idea. That belongs to Jon Acuff @ www.jonacuff.com. I am just trying to keep his idea alive and moving and hopefully helping people grow in all areas of their life! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete