Wednesday, December 5, 2012

FINISH YEAR: Encourage my Dreamer's

My three year old, Maxton, like many children his age has an incredible imagination. He can play for hours by himself and create a fantasy land where the Avengers and Spiderman tag team to take on the most evil of villains. He is a dreamer.

***
***
Like any good dad would, I want all (soon to be) three of my boys dreams to come true. I want them to be passionate about something and to use that energy to achieve an incredible amount of good for those around them. I want them to feel like they are living their dreams.

Like all parents, having faced rejection and failure in life, this task is met with a bit of skepticism. I know that life is not always that way; I know that there are circumstances outside of themselves that may not allow my boys to do achieve all they want in life.

 However, I never want them to stop dreaming or stop trying to climb their "Mt. Everest".

One of the ideas I am playing around with for Finish Year 2013 has to do with this thought. I want to always be encouraging and assisting them in the exploration of their creative nature. I want them to always dream big dreams and never allow other people to add rules to what they can and cannot be in life. I want them to be deeply aware of who they are and what they are capable of accomplishing. I want them to find a passion in life then work harder than any person ever did to make that a reality.

***
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."—C. S. Lewis
***

I am having a hard time turning this into an item on my finish list. However, tonight I caught a glimpse of what this could look like. I want to be a dad who enters into my son's dreams.


This can be very hard because I am human. I often am so busy and/or tired at the end of the day I would rather just let Max go off and spend the evening partnering with Batman to take on the villains of Gotham City. I am tempted to just let his toys entertain him while I "get things done" or rest.

No! I will not be replaced by that masked man! I will join the adventure!

I want my boys to know that I am in this with them. When their dreams get crushed I will be there to help them keep going. When there is a problem I will be there to help sort it out. I will celebrate their wins and stick by their side through their losses.

***
"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - G.K.Chesterton
 ***

Tonight I did join in, I chose to put aside all of the things I wanted to get done to join the dream. Please do not hear me painting myself as Super-Dad. I have chosen to check out in front of the computer more times than I care to admit. But today was a win and I want more of them.

What I found was that as I entered into Maxton's dream we were able to achieve something of epic proportions.

Could Max have dreamed this up? Of Course! Probably better!


Could Max have seen this come into reality without his Papa entering into his dream!  
Nope, at least not the most epic train track that has ever hit Mound St! 



















2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts. Loved seeing the tracks and that sweet boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! He was pretty excited about it all :) Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete