Tuesday, January 22, 2013

"You will always be my buddy"

  1. You will always be my buddy. No matter what.
The other night I heard screaming coming from "The Big Ball Pit".
Oh wait, you do not know what this is? 
Let me introduce you then.
Sir or madam, this is "The Big Ball Pit"


Parent tip : As a parent, when given the chance, always say yes to purchasing The Big Ball Pit.
TBBP makes for an easy night of entertainment when mom or dad is out for the night with friends!

I heard screaming because somehow TBBP had been the defenseless victim of a 15 month old's ravaging attack. That theory was according to the eyes in the room, the big brother, Max. Upon further review it may have been caused by somebody a wee bigger in size (albeit not much bigger) who climbed over the wall into the pit instead of going through the access door provided.

Like any good dad I got some tape and went to work to patch up the little hole. As I was working Max being very intrigued climbed on me to take a closer look. I snapped and yelled "Get off me Max". He really only wanted to help because he is super curious about how things get fixed.He looked so shocked because he was not trying to do anything wrong. I was crushed just by look in his eyes.

He stormed off tears the size of lemon drops rolling down his cheek and as he went he turned, looked at me, and yelled "I'M NOT PLAYING AND I'M NOT YOUR BUDDY!" 

My first thought was "Holy Crap that is definitely my son!" 
(I'm sure my parents are reading this right now and laughing at how the tables have turned :))
My second thought was, "Wow, I failed that one. Big time."
My third thought was, "We can make good out of this still" 

I told Max that I should not have yelled at him. I told him I was sorry because I knew he just wanted to help. I then told him that no matter how mad he was at me he would always be my buddy.

Nothing would ever make him not be my buddy. Nothing I do. Nothing he does or any of my boys for that matter. No strings attached. No Conditions. We will always be buddies.

 *   *   *

In relationships I hope to show my boys that the best, longest lasting, and important relationships are those that are not based any kind of stipulations. The kind of relationships that say "you bring this to a relationship and I bring that" are just hard, frustrating and rarely enjoyable. You have to always worry about messing up and the person is always trying to please you.On the other hand when you know the other person accepts you, as their buddy, no matter what you do or don't bring to the relationship you are free to just enjoy them and they you. You are free to share life, care for each other and attempt to go to incredible places with that person because you know failure does not end the relationship. If anything it will make it stronger.


No comments:

Post a Comment